Saturday, January 31, 2009

Adicted To Food For Life

You would think that I would be able to attack my food addiction in a logical and straightforward manner. I am an intelligent person who has a job that requires solving problems every day. In fact that is pretty much what my job is all about. I manage a factor so it is my responsibility to supervise about sixty people and make sure all the machinery is maintained in a way that will allow the factor to work at maximum output levels. As you can imagine there is always some problem to solve. In fact, there is usually about 4 or 5 on the front burner.
So you would think that I could apply my problem solving skills to my food addiction. But it seems to be something I can't get a handle on no matter how hard I try. It really reminds me of how my oldest daughter has to deal with life. She has autism but she is high functioning which means she can fairly well get along but there are definitely things she can not control. For example, the autism affects how she deals with information. If she has too much information coming toward her she either just shuts down or she goes ballistic. For years I would tell her to just take a deep breath and relax but she couldn't. Her autistic behavior was something that was out of her control.
This is the same way I feel when I am approached with a stressful situation only my response is to eat. Yesterday we had a problem with a log scanner. This basically is an electronic item that is used to measure the size of logs. It wasn't a big problem but I was drawn to the snack machine as soon as I heard of the problem. I needed that relief the candy would give me. so I ate two packages of peanut M&M's and felt terrible afterwards. But I had no control. It was like something else was in control of my body and whatever that evil thing was it wanted candy.
The big thing is, I actually did feel better as soon as the chocolate hit my mouth. For a few minutes that is until I came back to reality and hated myself again for eating junk food. This food addiction is a very powerful beast that I feel helpless over.

No comments:

Post a Comment